In 1951, the
legislature appropriated $200,000 for the construction of a new
Gymnasium but because of the Korean War, steel was unavailable and
subsequent government regulations prohibited what little steel was
available to be used for recreational facilities.
By 1955, it
was possible to go ahead with the Gymnasium. The plan chosen was
similar to Cyprus High School, with some modifications, and an added
$260,000 was appropriated. After problems and deficits, the new
Gymnasium was started on the southwest corner of 700 east and 300
south. It was completed in time for the 1957-58 school year, the
first building erected on the new campus.