Ellvert H. Himes became President of Dixie College in 1951
following the one-year interim term of Mathew Bentley. Dr.
Himes was born in
Kansas City, Missouri in 1909 and
graduated from a junior College there with an Associate of
Arts degree. He was valedictorian of his graduating class,
1931, from the University of Utah. He received his Masters
Degree from the University of Kansas in 1937 and his Ph.D
from the University of Utah in 1950.
his three years at Dixie, he was responsible for the
introduction and promotion of Dixie as a Community College.
He established a council, a group of civic and business
leaders from St. George and outlying communities.
affected the first faculty organization at Dixie and began
the extended curricular offerings in the evenings for
students and community members. In addition, he established
the first on-campus radio station as part of the speech
department offerings and instituted the
practice of honoring community leaders at commencement and
the wearing of academic robes by the faculty at
Himes was quite progressive for a man of his time and was
instrumental in establishing new and innovative ideas at the
Two large problems faced the College: space for growth and
identification with the high school. For years, President
Joseph K. Nicholes looked for land to expand. Mathew
Bentley also searched for alternatives. The options near the
campus were very limited.
In 1951, the State Legislature appropriated money for a new
Gymnasium but the location was a stumbling block. Dr.
Ellvert H. Himes Dixie College President, and the Dixie
Education Association leaders, despaired of options near the
campus and entertained the idea of moving the campus from
the center of town. Once that idea surfaced, it took off.
President Himes great contribution was the vision of a new
campus and finding the area for Dixie to expand. He
organized the campaign not only to solicit donations to
finish Dixiana, but for the new campus as well. He was
determined that it would be first rate.