From 1935 to 1963 Dixie Junior College grew on the St.
George City Square, expanding from the original
Administration Building into five other structures clustered
together around the St. George LDS Tabernacle and Woodward
School. The college curriculum and the high school courses
were taught by the same faculty, creating a four-year school
with two years of high school and two years of college known
as the 6-4-4 plan -- six elementary grades, four years of
high school (7th, 8th, 9th, 10th grades) and four years of
college (11th, 12th grades, freshman and sophomore.) At the
time, it was thought this plan would revolutionize the
education system, but it was abandoned in less than 20
This period, 1935-63, was fondly remembered by devoted
alumni who talk of the superior teaching by such faculty as
Linna Snow Paxman, S. Ralph Huntsman, John T. Woodbury, Jr.,
A. Karl Larson, H. Lorenzo Reid, Arthur K. Hafen, Earl J.
Bleak, Juanita L. P. Brooks, B. Glen Smith, Maurice J.
Miles, D. Elden Beck, Beth Gardner Schmutz, Joseph W.
McAllister, Anna Page Robinson, Dean Peterson, Rodney Ashby,
Mariam Ahlstrom Robinson, Myrtle Henderson, Coach Leland
Hafen, Arthur A. Paxman, E. Ellis Everett, Nadine Ashby,
Elizabeth Snow Beckstrom, Ronald L. Garner, Robert O.
Dalton, Andrew H. Barnum, Marion J. Bentley, Pansy L. Hardy,
H. Loraine Woodbury, Edna J. Gregerson, Wayne R. McConkie,
Gerald P. Olson, Dona K. Parkinson, Howard H. Putnam,
William E. Purdy, Donald C. Cameron & others.