President Jenson was President until the
autumn of 1926, when he and his family went to California where
he studied Educational Administration at Stanford University.
After leaving Stanford they returned to Brigham Young
University where he was named Principal of the Secondary
Training School. He later transferred to BYU’s faculty where he
taught art classes and was Director of the Teacher
Placement Bureau. He was associated with the University in
the fields of Art and Education until his death on May 29,
1958. He and his wife were the parents of three daughters.
was often said that the longer people knew President Jenson, the
more they liked him. He certainly touched the very hearts of
the people at Dixie and demonstrated his love for the school in
many ways. He was a methodical, precise and profound leader as
well as a skilled artist. Many of his paintings hang in the
homes of long time St. George residents.
away from Dixie Junior College for 16 months, Joseph K. Nicholes
returned to Dixie where he taught Physics, Mathematics and
Chemistry for two years. With the departure of Edgar Jenson in
1926, he was again appointed President of the College, a
position he held until 1933.
President Nicholes administrations, 1927 and 1928, the first and
second phases of the Science Building were completed. It was
directly across Main Street from the Gymnasium and the Main
Building. In addition to classrooms and labs for the Biological
and Physical Sciences, the building also housed the Food and
Clothing Labs and the Auto Mechanics Department.