approval was given on March 22, 1916, to establish normal college
work. The announcement prompted a big town-wide celebration.
The next day a report in the Washington County News described
the events: "They celebrated and fired the cannon all day long.
They enjoyed parades, bands and floats. Later all met in the
Tabernacle and the Church Supervisor of Schools, W. O. Bentley,
talked about the need for the College and all it could
18, 1916, the Board of Education began plans for a new Gymnasium
and Swimming Pool Building. It was to be 50 feet x 70 feet and
cost around $40,000. It was finished about a year and a half
later and was used continuously until 1956 when it was remodeled
and used as a library with a section used by the music
addition to the Gymnasium, a new Shop Building was built, a part
of the City District School was converted into a training school
for teachers, a civic Library was built and the St. George
Tabernacle was made available for chapel services.