On February 14, 1915, the boys
of the school gathered on the Black Hill and began the
construction of the "D". The first painting was done under the
direction of Clarence Abbott who was the Commissioner of
Discipline in the Student Government.
100 boys were involved in the project. It took about three hours
to move all the rocks into place, after which they gave it the
first coat of white lime. The girls brought a luncheon and they
celebrated the first Dixie Day--a luncheon which became a
tradition that lasted until the 1970's.